Friday 27 March 2009

More Flowers

This is my version of the popular round crocheted cushion that's been seen on several blogs recently. I used the pattern from the Complete Guide to Knitting and Crochet, but changed the edging and found a different flower pattern to adorn the centre. The leaves are my own improvisation.
I've found that circular cushion pads are difficult to find, at least where I live (a cultural desert!), so I modified a square one instead.
I used Rowan Pure Wool Aran for the cushion and scraps of dk for the flowers.

Talking of flowers, I must mention this book.

I don't know when I've been so excited to get a new book as I was when this one arrived. I knew last year that it was going to be published, and had it pre-ordered. What would we do without Amazon?
There are patterns for both knitted and crocheted flowers in the book, which is nice if you do both these crafts. The ones I've tried here are all crocheted, in either dk or 4 ply.

All the patterns I've tried turned out well, although some are more complicated than others, and do require some concentration!
Some of them are quite ingenious in the way they are made. The forget-me-nots are a case in point (the bunch of 3). If you try them you'll see what I mean. The other blue one is amazingly simple but very effective. The pansy was definitely complicated.
The butterfly is one of 3 different ones from the book, of which I thought this was the nicest one.
I'm not sure what I'll do with them all, but it's quite nice to have a few flowers put aside for attaching to different things as and when. The main thing is it's fun to try them out!


Another time I'll show you some of the knitted flowers from the book.