Wednesday 28 March 2007

Flowers and a Weed

When we moved into our current house, it was obvious that the garden had been seriously neglected for many years.

Since then we have cut back, dug out, landscaped and planted. In general a great deal of work has been done to develop and improve the garden, and it's now a much pleasanter place.
One of the big problems with the garden has been weeds.
This particular weed appears in its thousands every spring. I don't know what it's called.

It looks fragile but it has a constitution of iron. It grows everywhere, light or shade. I try to get it before it can seed.
Ten years of pulling it out has reduced it by maybe 10 per cent.
I think there must be lots of weed seeds dormant in the soil.
I don't want to use a weedkiller spray, not for ecological reasons, but just because I don't want to breathe chemicals.
Well, I suppose I'd better get back to my weeding.


Either that, or read my new magazines.