Friday 11 May 2007

Hooked

These are some squares I've been making for a blanket. I know granny squares are hot just now, but for this I wanted a more lacy looking square.
The design is from 200 Crochet Blocks by Jan Eaton, and the pattern is called Gothic Square. I think I've made just over half the number I need for a throw.

It's funny but when I was younger I was always a knitter. My mother knitted and she taught me to knit. Then I managed to pick up the basics of crochet from a how-to book I bought with my pocket money when I was about 11. Later in life I found that if I learned to hold the work properly I could go a lot faster, but I never really did much with it, apart from a pram blanket when my first daughter was a baby.
Until recently!

I still love the look of knitting, and would knit something if I liked the pattern, but at the moment I seem to be in a crochet phase. My daughter even asked me to teach her to crochet! So there you are, it's officially cool enough for an art student. That's a good enough endorsement for me! We spent an agreeable afternoon a couple of days ago going through the basic stitches.
Well, what would you choose as a nice safe, easy project for a beginner? Would you believe she is now crocheting a doily. Talk about running before you can walk:)

Have a great weekend!