Friday 18 July 2008

Flower Garland

It was my daughter's birthday last Saturday, and not just any birthday but her 21st. I wanted to make some sort of table decoration that she could keep and use afterwards. This was just for her family birthday tea on Saturday - she had another party with friends on Sunday. What it is to be young!

I knew I wanted to make some kind of garland or swag, but I wasn't sure how it would turn out, and it evolved as it went along. At first I was thinking of regular spaces between the flowers, but it turned out differently. It's a combination of 5 different flowers and 2 leaves.

I made all the flowers first and then crocheted them together on a long chain from the back, but it needed more stability, so I tried tacking the sides of each flower to the one next to it with sewing thread, and that made all the difference. Then I sewed the leaves in and finally the small flowers, which were attached on top with French knots.

I'm often asked about the patterns I use. There are lots of crocheted flower patterns available, and I think this idea would work with any arrangement of any flowers. You know I love my books! My flowers were a selection from these 3 books:
99 Floral Motifs to Crochet - Leisure Arts
Crochet Embellishments - Jean Leinhauser, Leisure Arts
201 Crochet Motifs, Blocks, Projects and Ideas - Melody Griffiths (this book uses UK crochet terms).