Friday 1 February 2008

Cutting, Piecing and Knitting

Isn't there something so satisfying about cutting squares and amassing a pile of them?

Especially when they start turning into 4-patches.
This will be a quilt for a specific purpose, and that's to go on the back of a plain sofa. I feel like freshening up the decor for spring.
As well as making squares, for a change I've been doing some knitting. I used to knit quite a lot before I discovered quilting. A long time ago!

This scarf is from Louisa Harding's newish book, Knitting Little Luxuries. There are also some very pretty fingerless mittens in the book.
One of the things I liked about this pattern is the matching flower pin. The flower is knitted in one long piece which is then spiralled up and sewn in position to make the flower shape. I must say I like the quirkiness of a green flower.
You can tie the scarf and then secure it with the pin.


I used a DK mohair, not the yarn specified in the book but a workable alternative. I haven't worn it yet, but I'm hoping it won't feel too scratchy because of the mohair, lol!
It did need pressing to make it lie flat. The lacy pattern needs a bit of concentration to knit, but the rows are fairly short and the whole thing only took a few days to complete.


I was thinking all I need now is some really cold weather, but there's snow forecast here for later in the day, so maybe I'll get some.