Sunday, 27 April 2008

Flower Power

Computer problems over the last couple of days have meant I couldn't answer any emails, but it seems to be working okay now. That's what it's like when you have one of the old wooden, wind-up computers, LOL.
Anyway it took me longer than I anticipated to finish the crocheted bunting, because I decided to add some flowers to it.
I thought it needed some touches of stronger colour, and now it's finished!
I made 9 pennants, which I didn't think would be very long, but 7, 6 or 5 would have done. It's difficult to photograph a long narrow thing except from a great distance, so the pictures show sections of it.

I hung it from a mantel to show you what it looks like. I might hang it on the wall in my sewing room.

The patterns for the flowers and leaves are from two or three different books. I put French knots in the centres of the smaller flowers.
The yarns I used are a mixture of Patons and Rowan 4 ply cottons. The Rowan is a tiny bit thicker than the Patons, but comes in a good rainbow of colours, and they are close enough in weight to work together in something like this where tension isn't crucial.
I'm pleased to say it's completely different from the bunting I originally saw in Laura Ashley, which inspired me to make my own.