Who can resist a cute little owly? He could be made in so many different colour combinations. He is just 3" tall and can even stand unaided.
I used various old dk from stash. The most difficult thing for me was getting the beak right. It took me several attempts to come up with a beak I thought was half-decent! But that's just me and my nit-picking of my own work. What's not to love about this pattern? It's from Etsy seller Amanda Berry who has several lovely animal patterns to choose from. I found the pattern very clearly written and super-accurate.
The embroidery in the background is an ongoing project I can hardly put down. For a while now I've been thinking about doing some "vintage" embroidery from an authentic old transfer. If you're a long-time reader of my blog you will know I can mull over an idea in my mind for months or even years before I actually start it! That was the case with this.
The transfer was one of a job lot bought on ebay some years ago. If you're interested in old transfers, ebay is worth checking out. It was fairly scruffy and tattered at the edges but the hot iron process did work, and it only needed minor touching up with a permanent pen. My stitches aren't perfect but I think that's all part of the character of this type of embroidery. Cottage gardens full of flowers are what it's all about.