Thursday 18 September 2008

Just a Note

Edit: The instructions for the book cover and embroidery are in Samples From the Past Part 1, published by Blackbird Designs in 2000.

It's not very big, only about 4" x 6", and that's so it can easily fit in my bag. Before this one there was a different one which got full, but one book lasts me a long time, and this one's been going quite a while.
The cover was simple and straightforward to make. The embroidery design is an early Blackbird Designs pattern.
I use this book for jotting down creative ideas and notes I want to remember. It's not a journal of what I've made, but more of a place to keep ideas and possibilities. It might be something to make, measurements of a piece of furniture, something I've seen in a magazine, or just ideas for colour combinations.

There are some pictures from magazines cut out and glued in, but it's mainly notes and drawings. Loose pieces of paper can be tucked inside the front and back covers, and sticky notes can be added to the pages. Any little idea I want to keep in mind and not lose, goes in the book.


At the back of the book I write down quotations I've heard or read which appeal to me. Here's one I like by Christopher Morley:
"There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way."

Do you keep a notebook?